Friday, May 21, 2010

Fridge Frittata


This is seriously one of my favourite, no-effort dinners.

I made this because I had an assortment of left-overs in my fridge that I wanted to turn into dinner. Either that or order home-delivery, but seriously, why spend the $20 / $30 when you can create a yummy meal form left overs for free! Plus, as you would have guessed from my previous post I hate waste!

I am sure there is a 'proper' Spanish method to make a frittata; a method I am yet to discover! So I use the term loosely. There is no end to the combination of ingredients that you can add. As such, I can't really write out a recipe for you: this is more of an idea that you can then adapt to be anything you want it to be.

Frittata is also fantastic cold, and makes a great lunch to take to work, or to take on a picnic.

How I made mine

The contents of my fridge was as follows:

  • 1 chicken breast that I had bbq'd on Sunday evening, w/ a few shakes from a pack garlic-herb spice mix

  • a large handful of baby potatoes that had been boiled, then had a glug of olive oil & parsley thrown over them

  • a medium tupperware container's worth of pancetta/mushroom mix. I used this to top slices of french bread at my mum's 60th birthday party: it was very yummy & easy to make (will post the recipe another time)

  • half a block of haloumi

  • a clove of garlic

  • 4 eggs
I made it by:

I heated a frying pan over medium heat, add a good glug of olive oil, and  once the oil is warm, a small knob of butter. Swirl it all around to really cover the base of the pan. I crush & finely slice the garlic, and add it to the pan, let it sizzle for a few moments, then tipped the mushroom/pancetta mix into the pan, and stirred it all together. After a few minutes, I added the potatoes, that I roughly chopped up, and then the bbq'd chicken breast that I had sliced into bite-size pieces. Stir well to combine.


Lower the heat to med-low, and whisk the eggs together in a bowl, then pour over the mix, do your best to cover as much of the mix as possible. You may need to use a wooden spoon to push things into place, and make sure the egg gets into all the crevices etc. You don't want it pooled in the spot where you poured it in.

Allow the eggs to cook for a minute or two: don't be tempted to increase the heat, you need the eggs to set. Slice the haloumi into 'fingers' and place on top of the frittata. Place pan under a very warm grill to cook the top of the eggs / brown the haloumi.
You can serve this w/ a green salad, steamed veg, on its own or however you want! I realised after I'd started eating it that the baby tomatoes I had could have been sliced & put through the mix. Baby peas or any frozen veg would have worked well too. Feta or goats cheese works well in a frittata, as does baby spinach, or indeed regular spinach. 

I have made frittata's out of left over roast meat & roast veg; grilled sausages, left over steamed greens, anti-pasto, chorizo . . . really anything I have in my fridge that I can use up.

Don't hesitate to drop me a mail if you have any questions, or need some ideas!


1 comment: