Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Meatless Monday Veg & Ricotta Pie



And a big shout out to Naomi! This is not really a pie, but I don't know what else to call it. Basically you sauté a heap of veg, pop it into an ovenproof dish, pop some cheese on top & pop it under the grill.
I wasn't following a recipe, and am actually not much of a 'vegetarion' cook, so I was more than a little surprised by just how yum, yum, yummy this was! And to make it even better, there are 2 containers of left overs that will make a yummy lunch to take to work the next couple of days.

I had a heap of lovely mixed roasted veg (eggplant, carrot, capsicum, zucchini etc) left over from the roast veg tartlets that I had made a few weeks back. I had just kept the extra veg in a zip-lock bag in the freezer. Before I went to work Monday morning I pulled the bag of veg from the freezer & popped it into the fridge so the veg would thaw slightly.

If I am making something, say a roast, I tend to cook more veg than I need as they always fantastic for throwing into a salad, a frittata, or into the pot randomly (i.e. this!). Veg keep very well in the freezer, just make sure no air can get in to the bag you're storing them in. I know I sound a little bit too-keen, but if you're making a heap of veg, it is basically no effort to add an extra handful or so, and you will have the reward of a yummy meal ready to be easily put together a couple of days later.

You could use raw veg , but you will need to cook this for much longer. I would do it by following the below (so the veg get a crisp outside), but instead of putting the dish under the grill, out into an oven heated to 180'c for 25 mins or so (however long you think it will take your veg to cook through). Then pop under the grill for a few mins to turn the top golden.

Random Vegetable 'Pie'

Feeds 2 normal hungry people, or 1 very hungry person

Half a spanish onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed & finely sliced
2 cups mixed mushrooms (I used button & swiss)
8 baby tomatoes, quartered
1/2 can butter beans, drained (or you could use lentils, chick peas etc)
6 cubes feta, sliced (or keep as cubes if you prefer)
Bunch of parsley, chopped
1 cup fresh ricotta
Parmesan for the top
Any other veg you care to ad
For Example:
I used left overs from the roast veg tarts, that I had then frozen.
Any frozen veg you have peas, carrots, broccoli, corn.
If you've done a roast & have any veg left over
Etc, etc


 Put a pan on a medium heat, and add some olive oil. When warm add the sliced garlic & stir for a minute or so, then add the sliced onions. Stir well to combine, and coat in the oil. Make sure you don't turn the heat too high: you want the onions to soften, not to brown/burn. Once softened, add the mushrooms & stir to combine.






Add whatever other veg you are using: I tipped in the mixed roast veg at this point. Stir occasionally until well warmed through.  








Add the 1/2 can of butter beans (or lentils/chickpeas), parsley & sliced feta & stir through.








Once the beans are warmed through, transfer the whole mix to an ovenproof dish.





Place spoonfuls of ricotta on top of the veg, then shave some parmesan over the top.







 
 Place under grill, remove once the top has turned golden.

Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. yummo Antho!
    :D loved the shoutout!
    simple, delicious, convenient and quick - all those things i look for in a school-nite dinner.
    thanks darlin'!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure! Sorry it wasn't dairy free too: I just can't bring myself to do it! I need that extra bit of something. But it is all 'good' dairy! Ricotta & Feta are good cheeses, as is Parmesan, so it doesn't go in the naughty column xx

    ReplyDelete