Thursday, May 13, 2010

It's Italian for Fried Rice!




Hello!

So, wondering home after a long day, and still feeling rotten from awful cold that just refuses to leave me be, my mind turned to dinner. Tempted as I was to pick up a take away Indian (meal that is), I thought for a few moments about what I had at home that might make a nice meal.

* left over prawn risotto
* 1 egg
(how I came to have just 1 egg I do not know)
* some crab meat in the freezer
* a few slices of pancetta

A quick swing by the F&V shop under my building for half a bunch of spring onions, and I had all that I needed to turn my left over risotto into a fried rice!

Crab meat may sound like an exotic thing to keep in one's freezer, but it is so handy to have. We have a wonderful farmers markets on every Saturday, literally outside my front door. As I have previously posted, their is a wonderful fishmonger there, and he sells me packets of frozen crab meat for around $12-$13 a packet. I get so many meals out of it (toss it through pasta, add to risotto, throw into an omelette or frittata!).

And you know what? It was so yummy! Prawns, crab meat, pancetta, spring onions & left over risotto: awesome meal of left overs!

My Random, Left Over, Italian Fried Rice


Crack the egg into a bowl & whisk gently to mix it all together.


Slice the pancetta into strips, finely chop the spring onion. The crab meat I have is in a block, so I just slice of 'slabs' like you would a loaf of bread (bottom left of this photo). Once it has thawed slightly (a few minutes), break it up into smaller bits. This is just a meal of left overs, you could use bacon or ham instead of pancetta, a leek instead of spring onions etc etc.



Heat some vegetable oil in a wok, and swirl it around to coat the base. Once it is very warm, pour the egg mix in & swirl it around to make a thing layer that cooks very quickly & remove from the wok.




Add a little more vegetable oil to the wok, and when very warm, throw the spring onions into the wok. Cook, stirring, for a minute or two, then add the pancetta. Cook that for a couple of minutes then add the crab meat.


Add the left over risotto to the wok, and stir, stir, stir (sound familiar?)! I found that some of the rice caught on the bottom of the wok, but I didn't want to add any more oil, as the rice was already quite saturated from the stock etc.








Once the rice has been cooked through, season to taste, spoon into a bowl, and pop the egg on top.

Enjoy!

Wine Match!
Umm - whatever you have in the fridge! In my case a Margaret River Sauv Blanc.

No comments:

Post a Comment