Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Roast Berries & Oats w/ Yoghurt: yummiest, healthy dessert!



I was standing in Harris Farm (yes, I love it) tonight trying to think of a yummy, healthy way I could end my meal. Being winter, the 'fruit' options in this regard are somewhat slim on the ground. Don't get me wrong, I really like apples (not so wild about oranges: all those years of oranges at half time during hockey matches). I like apples, but when I feel like something appetising & sweet after dinner, a crisp apple is not what springs to mind. 

In summer I make a dessert that is kind of like a free form 'trifle' (don't let the 'trifle' in this sentence put you off - please!). Take a glass tumbler, put a layer of muesli, then some yoghurt, and then some fresh berries. Repeat if space as many times over as the tumbler will allow. I love to use 'Whisk & Pin Mountain Muesli' when I make this. 

However, most muesli isn't as healthy as it appears. I wouldn't want to speculate whether or not this is true of my fave 'Mountain Muesli', but where I can I try and simplify things even more. I felt like berries, and yoghurt, but wanted something with a bit of texture in there. Standing & staring at the rows of biscuits (which I thought I could just crumble on top), I had a brain wave.



What would happen, I wondered,  if I took some frozen raspberries, and scattered some simple, plain rolled oats over the top, and sprinkled a pinch (a biggish pinch) of brown sugar over the top, and then popped it into the oven preheated to 180'c for 20 mins or so. 


And what would happen if I then took this toasted berry/oat combo, and scattered it over my favourite grocer's lush yoghurt w/ raspberries?  

What would happen? 

Awesome! That is what happens!


No comments:

Post a Comment