Thursday, September 10, 2009

Blessed are the Fishmongers, for they

shall inherit . . . . I don't know what. I don't really have anything that is inheritable. My recipe books perhaps?

It is Fish Pie for dinner tonight!

This is one of my favourite things to cook as it is delicious, healthy, and just very easy to make.

I am blessed to live across the street from what is a vibrant grower's market held every Saturday. There is a wonderful fishmonger there, Francis the Fishmonger, who has an array of products, and very inexpensive.

I have some smoked mussels, smoked sardines, crab meat, snapper fillets, and prawns, all of which will be added to the pie pot.

Put some water on to boil, and peel some potatoes, and cook. You will mash these up and put on top of the pie mix before it all goes into the oven.

Grease a large dish with a little butter, or olive oil. Cut up the fish into cubes about the size of your upper thumb joint; and put it with the rest of the seafood into the dish. You want around 750g of seafood. Any sort would suit, though obviously fresh is best (frozen is fine too, I just mean stay away from manky canned stuff).

Grate (I chop, as I am lazy) come celery, a carrot, throw in some baby spinach, some plum tomatoes, and some grated cheddar (you can save some for the top, but I prefer to use Parmesan). Mix through some lemon zest, and mix it all together with your hands, making sure it is all well incorporated. If you want to be a bit decadent, and have an open carton of cream, you can pour some of that into the mix too.

Mash the potatoes (adding butter/milk/salt/pepper as desired), and spoon it onto the top of the pie filling, smoothing it over so it covers the whole lot evenly.

If you want, grate some Parmesan cheese on top, or use any cheddar you reserved, or have left over.

Put it into a hot oven (200'c) for 40 mins. Serve with mixed greens, and tomato sauce (if you must).

Dinner is at 8pm. Bookings are essential.

A.
x

NB: This is a bastardised version of Jamie Oliver's (too-simple-to-be-good-but-it-is!) fish pie, which, along with other great recipe ideas, can be found on his website (www.jamieoliver.com)

1 comment:

  1. My flatmates and I cooked the Jamie Oliver fish pie for a house dinner one night recently and it was a roaring success! We only used one type of fish - Gurnard, which I had never heard of but seems to be quite popular over here in NZ, kind of similar texture and taste to Monkfish - and threw in the spinach and onion and carrot and celery, and of course - cream - and topped it with very roughly mashed potato for which we left the skins on - it gave it a great texture - and OMG it was soooo delicious! And easy! Actually - I think it might need to appear back on the menu this weekend.. Yum!

    ReplyDelete