Monday, August 23, 2010

Spiced Shredded Pork



This is really easy, and you could make it ahead of time: it would be delicious cold. A note, if you aren't going to do the avocado salad, then put a slice of avocado on top of the corn cake, then top with the pork.  

500g pork fillet
500ml chicken stock
2 small onions, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 fresh jalapeno, finely chopped
(I couldn't find a fresh one, so bought a jar & used that. Jalapeno really does have a distinctive flavour, so I'd try and use even preserved jalapenos, rather than use 'asian' chillies)
1 bunch coriander (enough for 2.5 loosely packed cups)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons bitter
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup sour cream


1) Combine the pork, stock, half the onions, the jalapeno, coriander, cumin, bay leaf & 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a saucepan & bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 mins, stirring
occasionally. If you have a thermometer, you want the pork to reach 60'C (140'F).


2) Remove pork, and shred using 2 forks. I overcooked mine, which is why it is diced in the picture above! My bad - too much white wine & chatting!


3) Combine the shredded pork w/ the remaining onion, butter & 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season well. Place under the griller until golder brown (4-7 minutes). Actually, the recipe said to 'broil'. I think this means grill, but since I wasn't sure, I grilled it for a while, and when not much happened, I just threw it all in a frying pan over strong heat. If you know what broiling is, please tell me!

4) Serve atop the corn cakes w/ the sour cream & tomato. 

No comments:

Post a Comment