Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Choc Almond Meringues



Hello Everyone!

As some of my regular readers know, ever since Thanksgiving I have been endeavouring to make my way through the enormous number of eggwhites I accumulated as a by-product of making all that ice-cream.

I found this recipe on one of my favourite newspaper websites, The Guardian. 

It really is incredibly easy, though if you did have an electric whisk/beaters of some sort that would definitely make life easier - manually beating eggwhites to stiff peaks is a hard task!

The end result is fantastic - I took some to my new neighbours, and they made me pretty popular!



200g dark chocolate
The whites from 4 medium eggs
(this is 120ml in case you have them stored)

175g caster sugar
50g honey
100g icing sugar, sifted
Flaked almonds
 
 
 
 
 
 
Cover a baking tray with foil or nonstick baking paper, and heat the oven to 140C (120C fan-assisted)/ 285F/gas mark 1. Melt the chocolate and set to one side. In a large bowl, and using an electric whisk, beat the egg whites until stiff, then add the caster sugar a third at a time, whisking on high speed until smooth, glossy and very thick, so the meringue mix holds its shape.






Beat in the honey until just combined, then gently fold in the icing sugar. Gently fold in the chocolate – stop folding before it's fully amalgamated: you want it a little streaky. Place small spoonfuls on the prepared tray – the meringues will go flat if too big – scatter with almonds and bake for about two hours.






1 comment:

  1. Yum! But 2 hours?? Oh yeah, low temp.. Seems like an awfully long time to wait for something sweet and delicious.. But they look worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete