Thursday, July 8, 2010

Cornbread & Sourdough Stuffing


This stuffing is very easy to make, and is absolutely delicious! I'm not sure if I just cut the cornbread & sourdough a bit too large, but this yielded a very large amount of stuffing. I stuffed my 9kg turkey, and had some to spare!

I am not sure if you can buy ready made cornbread, so I just made my own (yes, yes, I've heard it all before! :) You can find the recipe for the cornbread here.

When it comes to Thanksgiving, and anything turkey related, I tend to turn away from Australian and UK cookbooks, and head straight to the world's most authoritative source: Martha Stewart. This is her recipe.

Cornbread & Sourdough Stuffing


6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, in 1/4" dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled, 1/4" dice
1/2 bulb fennel, 1/2" dice
Cornbread, cut into 1/2" cubes (isn't a dice a cube?)
10 ounces of 1 day old sourdough, cut into 1/2" cubes
3 tbs assorted herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley, marjoram etc. I wouldn't use basil)
1 cup pitted prunes, 1/2" dice
5 dried pears, 1/2" dice (you could use apricots instead)
salt + pepper
1/2 cup turkey stock (I used chicken stock)




1) Melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a large pan over med-low heat. Make sure it is a LARGE pan. Or even a saucepan if you've only small pans. Add the onions, garlic, carrots & fennel & cook until the vegetables are tender (not soggy!), around 10-15 mins. Remove from the heat.

2) In a large bowl, mix the cornbread & sourdough together, then add the vegetables, herbs, prunes & pears. Mix together well, and season.

3) Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter & add to the stock, then pour the lot of the stuffing mixture. Toss to combine, and allow to cool. Cover & refrigerate until the turkey (or whatever you are using this for) is ready to be stuffed.

4) Remember, stuff your turkey just prior to putting it in the oven. If you stuff the turkey, and allow it to sit, bacteria could develop.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment