Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Polenta, of the softer variety


I had never made polenta before in my life, but when making the chicken dish, I didn't want to just serve it w/ mashed potatoes. I wanted something a little more special. Also my friend I was making it for (shout out YK!) can't eat gluten, so polenta was an obvious choice.

It is very simple, though the stirring required is labour intensive, the end result is great. I found the version in Maggie Beer's 'Harvest' cook book.

Polenta
125g soft polenta (not the instant stuff!)
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups milk
100g butter
salt & pepper

Combine the stock, milk & butter in a saucepan and bring to scalding point. Reduce the heat, and add the polenta, whisking to incorporate.

Keep whisking / stirring for 30 minutes. Season & serve.

Now, to be fair, I sure as you-know-what didn't want to stand there stirring for 30 mins. I did stir it very frequently, once ever minute or so.

When we sat down to eat our entree, it did stiffen up a little, so I just added a little bit more milk, stirred it through, and it came back beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment