Sunday, May 9, 2010

Ricotta Hotcakes

And a big shout-out to Cam!

This is based on Bill Granger's recipe for his famous ricotta hotcakes. I must admit I am not a Bill Granger fan. On the whole I find his recipes don't work. I have made several attempts at different things of his, and they have almost never turned out. And I don't think I am the only one to think so: a colleague of mine went to a bookshop looking to buy one of Bill's books, and was told me the bookseller that "We don't stock his books, his recipes don't work" !!! On the other hand I do know a few big fans of his . . . maybe you can let me know what you think?

That said, these ricotta hotcakes are always a winner. Given my trepidation when it comes to eggwhites, I have always been very happy at how these consistently turn out well.





Ricotta Hotcakes
1+1/3 cup ricotta; 3/4 cup milk; 4 eggs, separated; 1 cup plain flour; 1 tsp baking powder; pinch salt.





Mix the ricotta, milk & 
yolks together in a bowl.




Sift the flour, baking powder 
& salt into a bowl. 


Add the ricotta mix slowly to the flour 
mix and stir until just combined.







Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.


Fold half of the eggwhites through 
the batter w/ a metal spoon.




Mix the last half of the 
eggwhites through the batch.



Ladle or pour (it is a thick batter, so it doesn't pour well: I recommend ladling!) into a very warm frying pan that has had a small knob of butter melted in it. Keep the heat on medium.






Cook for 2-4 minutes depending on how effective your frying pan is. Once the underside is cooked, carefully flip it over. The top side will still be quite raw so you will need to flip it carefully, and cook for a further 3 minutes. 

Only do one at a time! Keep this one warm in the oven and continue with the rest of the batter until all done.





This mixture should yield about 4 large hotcakes.


I served these with yogurt from Harris Farm, and a warm berry compote: take a heap of frozen berries, put in an oven dish & put into an oven @ 160'. After 10 minutes, put in a tablespoon or so of brown sugar & mix it through the berries. Cook for a further 10 minutes (or I just keep it cooking until all the hotcakes are done).


Wine Match!
Serve with champagne & guava juice for a gorgeous, special brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment