Saturday, September 26, 2009

Kangeroo Pasta

Just a brief little recipe, something I made up for a mid-week meal.

The FM loves kangaroo, as do I, and haven't been eating enough of it: it is so good for you!!

Take 2 spanish onions, cut them in half and slice thinly. Crush 2 cloves of garlic (or less if you prefer). Add some olive oil to a pan over med-high heat, and add the onions & garlic & fry gently until softened & fragrant.

I used about 5 small fillets of kangaroo, and cut them into pieces about the size of your top thumb joint. Turn up the heat, and add to the pan, and brown quickly. If you wanted to you could take some plain flour, add some salt & pepper, and lightly coat the cubes before adding them to the pan.

Once the meat is brown, turn the heat back down to medium, and add 2 cans of tomatoes, and some tomato paste. I also added a few shakes from a jar of dried chilli flakes, to give it a little kick.

Stir through, and bring to a gentle simmer. Once it has started to simmer, add a punnet of baby tomatoes.Try and push them into the juices as much as possible so they will cook through.

Let it cook for as long as possible - kangaroo is a meat that loves to stew, the longer you cook it, the tastier it will be.

A couple of mins before you take it off the heat, and some torn basil leaves.

Serve with pasta and parmesan cheese.

I cooked up some beans and served them with this, as well as some gluten free pasta.

Yum yum!

A x

PS -- it would also probably make a nice pie filling, or even shepherd’s pie type thing with mash on top.

1 comment:

  1. Heyo. Kangaroo is like, one of the only meats I eat (when I eat meat, which is v. rarely).

    Good recipe.

    I have been experimenting with some crazy health food ingredients. Seriously. I wish I had a camera. I'd show you pics!

    ReplyDelete